Toothaches can vary greatly, from mild soreness to an unbearable throbbing pain in your teeth or around your jaws. Some of the main causes of toothaches are cavities, an infection, an exposed tooth root, a cracked tooth, gum disease, a loose filling, or jaw joint disorder.
A toothache happens when the central region of the tooth, known as the pulp, becomes irritated or inflamed. The pulp consists of several nerve endings that are highly sensitive. Pulp can become inflamed or irritated for many reasons.
If you have a toothache, it is best to seek immediate advice from a dentist before the problem worsens. You can also try some natural remedies to relieve the pain temporarily.
Natural toothache remedies have been around since the first caveman suffered the first cavity. Why do these remedies persist in these days of advanced medicine and excellent healthcare? There are three main reasons:
- Fear of treatment. People get scared that a toothache will mean painful or expensive dental treatment. Rather than get their cavity filled, they would rather put off a visit to the dentist.
- Belief in natural remedies. There are people who believe strongly in homeopathic remedies. They would rather get toothache relief without drugs or medical intervention simply because they avoid any office visit at all costs.
- Lack of time. In today’s busy society, many people do not want to take the time to go to the dentist outside their usual two cleanings per year. They figure they can use a toothache home remedy to deal with the pain until their next appointment when they will fully address the issue with their dentist.
Home remedies for a toothache:
- Salt Water
Take about a teaspoon full of salt and mix it in warm water. Squish this water in and around your mouth for quick relief. Saltwater cleanses the area around the tooth and draws out some of the fluid that causes swelling. Repeat this treatment as often as needed.
Onions contain antiseptic and antimicrobial components that can effectively control a toothache. It can provide you with relief from pain by attacking the germs that cause infection. If you are suffering from a tooth pain, you can chew a raw onion for some minutes to decrease the pain. If you cannot chew the raw onion, you should place raw onion on the painful tooth to kill bacteria and stop the pain.
- Pepper and Salt
Salt mixed with pepper can be of great use when a tooth becomes extremely sensitive as both the ingredients have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Mix equal amounts of pepper and common salt with a few drops of water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste directly on the affected tooth and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Do this daily for several days.
Garlic acts similarly to an antibiotic, and it can inhibit the growth of bacteria that is attacking your tooth. You can use garlic in two ways. First, mash a garlic clove and a dash of salt, and apply the paste to the throbbing tooth. Second, pop a clove or two of garlic into your mouth and chew. Repeat two or three times per day.
Cloves have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and anesthetic properties that help alleviate tooth pain and fight infection.
- Grind two whole cloves. Mix in a little olive oil or any vegetable oil and apply on the affected tooth.
- Another option is to dab a cotton ball in clove oil and rub it directly on the sore tooth. Or, you can mix a few drops of clove oil in half a glass of water and use it as a mouth rinse.
- Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
Hydrogen peroxide can kill bacteria and help you get rid of discomfort due to dental issues, swish with a mouthful of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Mix equal parts 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and water, and swish the mixture in your mouth for 30 seconds. You can repeat once or twice.
Alcohol is good in some cases including a toothache. It will be one of the most useful home remedies for a toothache if you try it at home. You can swoosh a little of vodka, brandy, scotch, or whiskey, your symptoms of a toothache will be reduced dramatically. They play as strong mouthwashes and you can trust in this method.